Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The End of the Dress Saga

Well, I *ahem* finished the dress I was making for my toddler last night. And as I was finishing the seams (as best I could since the garment was already sewn together) I had an ironing accident. I have had the iron on the exact same setting the entire time I was working on this project, but I guess the fabric decided it had had enough. Take a look:


How annoying is that??? I wanted to cry and I think Kailee did too. Now I have to figure out a way to get scorched polyester off an iron. Fun.

A picture follows of the totally useless piece of elastic encased in bias tape on the inside back of the dress. Why does the pattern call for this? It has no stretchability or forseeable use - except to provide a scratchy "itch" factor. I do know, however, that I will be eliminating this in all future versions.

My facing disaster is below. I know what facings are and why they are used. But I still hate them. Thankfully a wonderful lady named Connie told me that facings are hardly used at all on RTW anymore (she, like myself, prefers lining instead) and not even much on couture clothing. Well, those of you who know me personally know that I am the elastic waistband / non-itchy / stretchy fabric queen of the universe. So I decided that I, too, will eliminate facings on most of my garmets. I've already started working on a sheer nightgown today and happily (and a bit triumphantly) threw the facing pattern pieces in the trash. Connie gets my vote in '08!!!
I also decided that I don't much care for the bias-tape finished armholes the pattern called for (below). Is there a neater and more attractive way to do this? Can't I just do a turned-under-twice treatment here? Opinions wanted, please.






Here's the "finished" dress, which I stopped finishing after I burned that unsightly hole in the front.

After all this, I am still really proud of myself for sticking with it and finishing as best I could. I also learned A LOT on this project, such as:

1. Finish your seams while you contstruct - there is no step for that at the end.

2. Make sure your iron is the right temp. for the fabric you're using.

3. If something doesn't "feel" right - like stupid interfacings and useless bias tape / elastic treatments, it's okay to eliminate them. No one will call the Pattern Police.

And thanks to my conversations with my awesome Sewing Divas, I feel like I now have the confidence to make adjustments to a pattern to suit my tastes. For example, I have a need for some nightgowns. I bought a simple shirt pattern that I liked the sleeves and neckline on. I've already enlarged the bust area for more ease, eliminated facings, and will lengthen the bottom to an above-the-knee nightgown length. I will keep you posted!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read sewing blogs like one would magazines, and I came across your blog. I like the way you write about the projects you are working on. And I esp. like that you are teaching yourself to sew, as I am, and you share your successes and mistakes. Great job! Keep it up!

Amy said...

Oh, man - I probably would've gone ahead and cried. Or said some bad words...or at least thought them!

I just finished my first dress for my daughter, too, and I ALSO used a similar crinkly fabric. The pattern I used also had the same strange piece of elastic at the back, but I just left it out. I thought I was just lazy, but now I'm glad I read your experience!

I just keep telling myself "It's a learning experience...it's a learning experience...."

Just Sew Divine said...

been there, done that. I learned that not all fabric can be ironed on high heat. test it on a corner or scrap piece of fabric first. just to make sure that the heat is not to high. also to cover the whole in the front you can make felt flowers to go across the bottom. just trace any flower design that you like and cut it out. you then pin the flower to your dress and stitch around the flower(s). easy cover up. you can even add leaves around the flower, or even some lady bugs. well just some ideas to help cover up the whole. it is still a cute dress. good luck.

Mom2fur said...

It's over a month later, so I hope you went back and rethought the 'unfinished/finished' dress. I'm thinking--applique! I'm not sure about felt flowers, as felt will wash differently than the fabric you used. You'd want to use something similar.
Another idea...try it on Kailee and cut off the bottom half to turn it into a top...just be sure to leave enough for a hem.
Next time, try using cotton or a cotton blend instead of poly. It's a LOT easier to work with!