Saturday, May 31, 2008

My first garmet!


This is my first garmet I'm working on - a dress for my toddler. It's coming along very slowly...but steadily. I actually had to look up what "staystitching" was and why it was necessary to do. The interfacings were a minor nightmare and look like a major disaster. But I'm just trying to get through and finish it and go from there while learning from my mistakes.


Lesson learned on this project:
1. It's not a good idea to make your first garmet with a slippery, ravelly fabric like this cute (but difficult) polyester seersucker.
2. The importance of cutting accurately.
3. What interfacings are and why they are necessary.
4. Staystitching.
5. The sound my sewing machine makes when the tension is not adjusted correctly.
6. If you're not sure about something, for gosh sakes, baste it in place before sewing it into place with a 2 stitch length!
7. Some pattern instruction leave a bit to be desired for the absolute beginner like me.

No comments: